Curious to learn about the nutritional and health benefits of lemons? Read about the top ten benefits lemons can offer your body.
If you have only encountered lemons as a garnish, you need to be introduced to the many unique ways that lemons can benefit your health. Here are ten reasons why we are in love with lemons.
- Vitamin C—This one is no secret: all citrus fruits are valued for their vitamin C content, and lemons are no exception. Vitamin C acts like an antioxidant, protecting cells from the damage done by oxidative stress and free radicals.
- Joint Care—Joint pain is frequently as result of excess uric acid building up in the body. Uric acid is a waste products and the citric acid found in lemons can help dissolve uric acid deposits, allowing the body to eliminate uric acid naturally.
- Potassium—Potassium is important for maintaining blood sugar and healthy blood pressure levels. Athletes need potassium for muscle cramps.
- Antibacterial Properties—Studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of lemons at killing numerous bacterias, from e. Coli to cholera.
- Clear Skin—Lemon oil reduces acne scarring and heals blemishes. These amazing benefits for skin may be due to lemon’s antibacterial properties, which may kill the bacteria that cause acne.
- Cure For The Common Cold—The juice of limes and lemons is a home remedy for the common cold, and science has confirmed what those old wives’ tales recommended. Lemon has anti-viral properties which fight infections, preventing colds from worsening.
- Heart Health—Studies have demonstrated that citrus peel and citrus juice contain antioxidants which keep arteries healthy. These antioxidants may slow the buildup of plaque on artery walls, and healthy arteries improve blood flow from the heart.
- Balanced pH—The potassium in lemons balances pH. pH is the balance between acid and alkaline in the body’s internal fluids. A balanced pH improves the cell health and cures indigestion.
- Digestive Enzymes—The liver produces digestive enzymes in response to lemon and lime—stimulating the secretion of digestive juices, acids and bile. This improves digestion and the absorption of nutrients.
- Cancer Protection—A compound called limonoids, found in lemons, has been shown to cause cancer cell death. Limonoids remain active in the bloodstream and may reduce more free radicals than either green tea or dark chocolate.
Lemon: A Super Citrus Fruit
The best way to capture the health benefits of lemons is through freshly-squeezed lemon juice or zest. Lemon juice and zest can be added to water, cooked into favorite recipes, and used in smoothies and shakes for a boost of flavor and nutrients! Try our Vegan Lemon Green Smoothie.